Thursday, July 7, 2016

I saw "Sense and Sensibility"

What I saw: "Sense and Sensibility" at the Judson Gym at 243 Thompson Street, just south of Washington Square Park, in the West Village in New York City.


What I wore: a green floral shirt that kept coming unbuttoned, gray jeans, gray Puma sneakers, old classic tan Coach purse with a long, cross-the-body strap from back in the days when they were still made in USA.


What I did beforehand: ate dinner at Jane with the Bacon Provider and our friend R.


Who went with me: R went with me to the show.

I realize we look nuts

How I got tickets: online

Why I saw this show: relentless Theater Mania marketing

Where I sat: A 101, front and center. I recommend seats towards the middle of the theater.


Things that were sad: when it was over and we realized we should have brought everyone we knew with us.

Things that were funny: the witty repartee of the Queen of Regency Period rom-com, things on wheels, underwear, snippets of rude eating, dancing. 

Things that were not funny: most plays are neither as fun or as good as this.

What it is: a surprisingly faithful adaptation of Jane Austen's first novel, performed with enthusiasm and precision by a talented ensemble, lasting about 2 1/2 hours, with one intermission. 

Who should see it: gossip-mongers, Anglophiles, people who short attention-spans, beer-drinkers, match-makers, romantics, skeptics, and curmudgeons.


What I saw on the way home: R gave me a ride most of the way, but as I caught up with the Bacon Provider I discovered I'd walked the last few blocks of Hell's Kitchen with my shirt mostly unbuttoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment