Monday, June 6, 2016

I saw "Turn Me Loose"

What I saw: "Turn Me Loose," a play at the Westside Theater on W 43rd between 9th and 10th Avenues

What I wore: black Free People top that's either an embroidered peasant blouse or a much-too-short mini-dress that I wear with pants, new white 7 for all mankind relaxed-hem jeans, orange Puma sneakers.

What I did beforehand: had lunch with the Bacon Provider and came home thinking that the only way I could avoid housework was to go to a matinee. After that matinee, I changed clothes. And I had a cappuccino and a cookie.


Who went with me: Phylicia Rashad and Larry Wilmore.



How I got tickets: a couple of weeks ago, online.

Why I saw this show: Even President Obama loves Dick Gregory.


Where I sat: A 108, front row, on the end

Things that were sad: "I never learned hate at home, or shame. I had to go to school for that." 

Things that were funny: Dick Gregory's stand-up is uncompromisingly forthright and quite funny.

Things that were not funny: the state of Mississippi took 31 years to bring the killer of Dick Gregory's friend and colleague Medgar Evers to justice.

What it is: a play about comedian and civil rights activist Dick Gregory, in his own words.

Who should see it: people who like to laugh, fans of Joe Morton, liberals, heckling Klansmen, social justice warriors.



What I saw on the way home: taxi-cabs, heading uptown, as if this city was fair and equal and anyone could catch one.

No comments:

Post a Comment