Tuesday, December 6, 2016

I couldn't think of a better name


What I saw: in the woods in late autumn, the somber palette won out over fall's riot of color. It wins every year, taking hold as the days shorten. 


What I did beforehand: We had a second day of rain the day before and it seemed like we only had a couple of hours of daylight, around noon. It was pouring and dark before I realized I hadn't walked the dogs.



What I wore: who cares?

Who went with me: the dogs.

How I got permission: I joined the local trails organization as soon as we moved in. I have tags for my leashes. I almost never see any other people out there. 


Why I saw this show: there wasn't anything else on.

Where I sat (after): in the big bean bag chair in the living room, staring at the walls, wondering where the Bacon Provider was. Arizona? India?

Things that were sad: I got a tick bite on my leg.

Things that were funny: when we turned around and headed home, Cherry got a burst of enthusiasm for going faster. 


Things that were not funny: when the wind comes from the wrong direction, the freeway was louder than my thinking.

Something I ate: cereal, probably. Or toast. Maybe bread and cheese. A banana. Something like that.

What it is: gray. Brown. Brown-ish gray-ish. Dead leaf brown. Bark gray. Mushroom gray-brown. Dead moss brown.


Who should see it: persons with leashes and dogs attached to them. Subscribing members of the local trail system only, please.

What I saw on the way home: the weekdays (five deer that congregate on the property across the street).

No comments:

Post a Comment