Saturday, November 5, 2016

I wore a pantsuit


What I did: attended the Bellevue/NYU Survivors of Torture Benefit


What I wore: gold hoop earrings that were a gift from the Bacon Provider in the 80s, blue Fluevog Guides, navy pantsuit that I bought back when I thought that straight As and an extra leadership certificate would lead to some interviews when I got my MBA and sent out my resume, a pale blue Italian-made blouse with covered button placket, a big pointy collar, and long, weird cuffs that require cufflinks, tiny turquoise Furla evening bag with a long, gold cross-body chain that serves as a strap, new navy overcoat that I bought at Zara on a recent trip into the city and discovered I was under-dressed. 


What I did beforehand: riding lesson, bought bagels, shower, shot past the strip mall where the salon was, turned around, got stuck in a dead end, found a service entrance, haircut, got dressed, made online account to bid on silent auction items, drove to town and parked, bought a peak/off-peak round trip train ticket, got on train, smushed onto subway at rush hour, walked across Washington Square Park, read a flyer about vaginas.



Who went with me: my friend R., whose Chit-chat-with-strangers Game is better than mine.

How I got tickets: I was invited by a NYC contact who has persistently attempted, through her continued invitations to lunch, to demonstrate to me that not all New Yorkers are toads.

Why I went: the Bellevue/NYU Program for Survivors of Torture provides comprehensive care, in the form of medical, mental health, social and legal services to survivors of torture and war trauma and their family members. Last year they offered multidisciplinary services to over 900 people from more than 70 countries. Since 1995, the Program has developed an international reputation for excellence in their clinical, educational and research activities. Their stated mission is “to assist individuals and families subjected to torture and war trauma to re-build healthy, self-sufficient lives, and to contribute knowledge and testimony to global efforts to end torture.”

Where I sat: Table 4


Things that were sad: this year, the Bellevue/NYU Program for Survivors of Torture welcomed 135 new clients and 93 new family members.


Things that were funny: I dropped both of my forks.


Things that were not funny: that pale blue Italian blouse fits better in theory than in practice.


What it is: this benefit recognizes both the efforts of the many professionals serving clients in the program and also honors some of the achievements of its clients. There was also a silent auction.



Who should see it: Americans needing a reminder of what our 240 year old experiment in democracy stands for in the world.




What happened on the way home: I fell down the stairs on the subway.


No comments:

Post a Comment